Monday, May 30, 2011

Safe at Home


I'll let you in on a little secret. I'm not a real deep thinker. My political science degree was mostly a place holder. I'm not passionate about health care, and I don't make enough money to care about what happens to my tax dollars. Ok, so I occasionally read the drudge report, and I downloaded a CNN app, but that's about as close as I'm ever going to get to watching the news. I operate on the assumption that others will worry enough for me. That others will tell me what to do in a crisis. In my small world, on my small plot of rented land, I feel safe. This isn't the most popular way to go through life, but I promise I'm not just freeloading. I try to do little things to help, love my dog as much as possible, shop local, water my plants, say thank you, and smile at strangers. To you this may sound shallow, but I make a consciencous effort every day to remain thankful. The problem is, the world operates on a scale that I cannot control, and while I have the fear enough to worry, I appreciate the shelter. I recognize that I've only ever heard gun shots on TV. I value only ever having to watch stories about war on afilitate news channels. I can say, with a fair amount of certainty, that I will never be tortured for classified information. My location today, will remain the same at my will. I own my freedom, because others own it for me. I may not watch the news, I may never know war, but I am thankful for the people who chose to save my life everyday. 

Lesson #58: Let Freedom Ring


No comments:

Post a Comment