Saturday, December 25, 2010

4 Christmases



You're not supposed to spend Christmas alone. I'm not stupid, I considered the consequences, I had the option to travel. I chose home. I should start by saying that I am traveling in early 2011. While this may sound like a lame excuse to stay home, I prefer to use my travel in the new year to visit the family I am missing over Christmas. You can judge me when your family moves to Lubbock and you have to drive 12 hours in the car over Thanksgiving. Thankfully, I was invited by 3 families to celebrate Christmas their way, and experience the holiday celebrating their traditions. Here's what I know so far... 1) Dinner is universal. Every family has their version of it. Whether it's roasted pheasants or fried turkey, we all bond over food. In my experience it is the thing for which all the other actions revolve. Sides however, are tradition. If you have a family tradition, there's a chance it involves some kind of side dish. 2) Family is subjective. This may sound silly, but as an outsider looking in, I never felt outside. It was as if the simple act of Christmas made us family. May I always remember to bring friends into the fold. 3) Traditions exist across the board. From what kind of food we eat, to what kind of wine we drink, to how we spend our day, no matter what it is, it can be considered tradition. When I was younger one of my uncles would dress up as Santa. All of the cousins sat squealing on the couch, while Aunt Helen would ring jingle bells to signal his arrival. Now we watch TV in our PJ's. Frankly it's all relative. Hiking, charades, cooking, watching TV, when you're with family anything can be tradition. 4) We believe. I could start with the beliefs I witnessed along the way, but I'd rather speak for myself. I believe my friends are good people. I believe that when you pray with others, good stuff happens. I believe in camaraderie. I believe in Santa. Whatever we believe, at some point it's a part of us.

I'd be remiss if I didn't thank the families that opened their homes to me. You made me laugh on a day that frankly, spent alone, would have really sucked. I dedicate this blog to you. Tonight I'm thankful. To Jen and Fernando, I hope our outdoor adventures never cease. To Lindsey, I will always be on your team. Chylin, I am the perpetual Ethel to your Lucy, and finally to my mom, whose bow making skills are a sight to behold. We may not always be in the same city on Christmas but you, and your families, will always be with me. I will never forget the year I had 4 Christmases

Lesson #47: No matter the circumstance, you are never alone.


No comments:

Post a Comment