Monday, October 25, 2010

The Neverending Story



I want to wear layers, shiver in the silver night, hear the train roar in the crisp crackle of the cold. It feels like summer will never end. It's time for the snap, the crunch of frost in the grass. I want to put away my shorts, and pair flannel with stripes. The Texas frost hasn't hit yet, the heat still beats off the asphalt. You can feel the sigh of the earth as the days grow longer, and remain damp. It too wants to make a change. Burn my lungs in white chilly mornings, drink frothy hot chocolate where the marshmellows melt. Bring me a winter where I can make a fire. I'll remember the summer that never ended, while I brush my cheek against the furry underlayer of my coat.

Lesson #27:  You always have something to look forward to.


No comments:

Post a Comment